Recipe by Kozmic Blues
Inspired from a recipe in La Dolce Vegan cookbook. This week I cought a cold and desperately wanted to make some home made soup. I flipped to this recipe in the book, and had all the ingredients on hand! I love when that happens. So, I upped the spice a bit, added a cup and 1/2 more broth than originally called for, as well as some spinach too, just because... The original spices are listed below. Because I added more liquid, I also added a tbsp of Sharon123 homemade vegan chicken seasoning, as well as a few grinds of the Mccormick spice grinder blend Mediterranean Fusion which contains salt, pepper, chili, garlic and cumin
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups cauliflower, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup frozen spinach, thawed
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup dried red lentils
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium soup pot on medium heat, sauté the onions in oil until translucent.
- Add the ginger, garlic, cumin, red pepper, and turmeric and sauté for 2 minutes; stir constantly to avoid sticking.
- Add the stock, cauliflower, tomatoes, and lentils.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat.
- Cover with lid and simmer for 1 minutes or until veggies and lentils are cooked.
- Stir in the cilantro and salt, remove from heat, and let sit 5 minutes before serving.