Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Tasty good stuff
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup lentils
- 1 (15 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 2 small red potatoes, chopped
- 1 small cauliflower
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, chopped
- Place onion and garlic in a large pot with water to cook, stirring for a couple of minutes.
- Add 1 tablespoon each of cumin, chili powder, and curry powder and stir to coat.
- Add the vegetable stock and lentils.
- Mix well, bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover, and cook for 30 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, potatoes and cauliflower.
- Add another Tablespoon each of cumin, chili powder, and curry, if desired (to taste).
- Continue to cook for another 30 minutes.
- Stir in the peas.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the cilantro.
I made this last night as I had half a large cauliflower to use up and this recipe contained it and several other of our favourite ingredients. I only used about 2 tsp of curry and cumin powders and 1/4 tsp of chili powder (I think what you get in the US must be a spice blend - mine is pure dried chillies) and it was quite hot. I also fried the onion and garlic in 1 tbsp olive oil at the start since I don't have a problem with using such a small amount of oil in a recipe that ended up making 6 servings. The dish ended up wetter than a stew, and was more of a chunky soup. It was fine, but just not particularly interesting.