Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I can't believe I haven't posted this one yet, I have been making it for years and it's one of Dh's favorites. I can't remember when I found it and can't find it online, so here it is for safekeeping. Very versatile (though the original is close to perfect if you ask me!), add your favorite cheeses, throw in some chicken or bacon, use a mix of broccoli and cauliflower, etc. Enjoy!
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 3 qt casserole dish.
- Cook penne until very al dente (not quite tender enough to eat) about 6-7 minutes, run under cold water, drain and add to casserole dish.
- Steam cauliflower florets until tender crisp, run under cold water, drain and mix with penne.
- Melt butter over low heat (add garlic if you like).
- Whisk in flour until combined and smooth, about 1 minute.
- Add warm milk slowly, whisking then bring to a boil over medium heat until thickened.
- Add in nutmeg, salt, pepper and Gruyere cheese until smooth.
- Pour sauce over the penne/cauliflower mix and stir just a bit to make sure it gets to the bottom.
- Top with Parmesan and bread crumbs.
- Bake for about 30-40 minutes until gold and bubbly.
- Cool 10 minutes before serving.