Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Got this from the Rachael Ray Show. I made it for dinner right away and it was amazing! She made it with Romanesco Broccoli, but I couldn't find that, so I used Cauliflower. She also said you could use regular broccoli, but I haven't tried that yet. Rachael says this serves 4, but in our house a full pound of pasta easily serves 6-8.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 lb rigatoni pasta
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup romano cheese, grated
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil for pasta.
- Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add butter and melt. Add onions and garlic to pan, and season with salt, pepper and bay. Stir and cook 8-10 minutes to soften.
- Add wine to the pan, stir 1 minute then add stock.
- Arrange cauliflower over onions and add crushed red pepper, lemon zest and rosemary to the pan.
- Cover and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. You don't want the cauliflower too mushy.
- Drop pasta in boiling water after vegetables have been cooking 3-4 minutes. Cook pasta to al dente.
- Add ladleful of starchy pasta cooking water to the vegetables.
- Drain pasta and toss it into the pot with sauce. Stir in ricotta cheese, thyme and grated Pecorino. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve pasta in shallow bowls.
We all loved this recipe! It was delicious! I don't think the one star rating is fair. If you don't like ricotta cheese, then don't make the recipe. Don't give a one star rating like it is a bad recipe. This recipe is GREAT if you like the ingredients....and my family really did. It came together quicky and easily and I have already had 2 requests to make it again.
The ingredients did not jive for me. I think I just don't like ricotta cheese. Won't make again.