Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a very tasty replacement for mashed potatoes. My boyfriend was absolutely shocked when I told him what the ingredients were and then he asked for seconds. He even commented that he guessed that giving up mashed potatoes would be ok with him if he could have this instead. Oh, did I mention that he's a meat & potato man from Texas? High praise, indeed.
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 lb parsnip
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 yellow onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons milk or 2 tablespoons fat-free half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon horseradish
- salt & pepper
- Peel the parsnips and chop into even sized chunks. Put in a large pot and bring to a boil.
- Boil for 10mins and add the cauliflower.
- Cook for 10 more minutes.
- In the meantime, sauté the onion and garlic in a small pat of butter until they are translucent.
- Drain the cauliflower and parsnips and put into a blender.
- Add the onion and garlic, remaining butter, horseradish and milk to the blender.
- Puree until smooth. If it's too thick add a bit more milk.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- If it needs more zip add a bit more horseradish.
Very tasty and healthy:) thanks for sharing the recipe!
Very nice alternative to the same old potatoes. Lovely flavor and texture.