Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Sunset Magazine, November 2008
Make and share this Cauliflower Panko Pakoras recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3⁄4 cup club soda
- 2 egg whites
- 24 ounces cauliflower florets, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 475°F In a large bowl, whisk together flour, 1/2 c panko, baking soda and remaining spices. Whisk in lemon juice and club soda. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg whites until foamy.
- Whisk whites into flour mixture. Using your hands, add cauliflower and combine until all florets are coated. Place remaining panko in a bowl. Lift florets, one at a time out of batter and toss in panko.
- Place on a large baking sheet coated with oil. Bake until brown and crispy, about 20 minutes.
Excellent! We enjoyed these very much. I followed the ingredient list, but fudged a bit on the preparation. In step 3, after I combined the cauliflower with the "batter", I just added the remaining panko onto them in the same bowl and gently tossed together. I then eased the entire gathering onto my oiled parchment and separated the cauliflower florets. Maybe I had a little more than 24 oz of cauliflower to begin with, and I probably used closer to 2 cups of panko, but I didn't take the time to individually lift each floret out of the breadings, and it turned out o.k. There weren't really any clumps of excess batter/breading to speak of. The flavor is good, a little zip, but subtle. This is a recipe that I will use again and look forward to. Thanks for sharing this, TattooedMamaof2!