1 hr 15 mins
We enjoyed this very much -- my son finished off the pan! Although this is a bit more work than regular mac n' cheese it is also a tad more healthier thant the reg recipes. No one will guess the secret ingredient is caulflower in this recipe. Recipe source: local newspaper which adapted the recipe from The Food Matters Cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth or 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cauliflower, cored and separated into large pieces
- 8 ounces macaroni (we used small shells)
- 1/2 cup cheese, grated (we used sharp cheddar but this is also a great recipe to clean out the cheese drawer and use bits an)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese, grated (I used the packaged Kraft grated cheese)
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- 2Spray a 9-inch square baking dish with Pam or use a small amount of oil to grease pan.
- 3Bring a pot of water to boil and add salt. When it reaches a boil add cauliflower for 20-25 minutes or until tender. Transfer cauliflower to blender or food processor. We used a blender but I think a food processor may be a better option. Add pasta to boiling water and cook for 5 minutes; drain; rinse and put in prepared baking dish.
- 4In a small sauce pan put in the broth and bay leaves and heat over medium low heat. When small bubbbles appear (5 minutes) turn off heat and let broth stand. Remove bay leaves from broth.
- 5Process cauliflowe with 2 cups of the broth, 2 T oil, the cheese, mustard , nutmeg, and salt and pepper. You may need to work in batches -- my blender overflowed a bit. If sauce becomes too thick add the remaining broth (1/2 cup).
- 6Pour sauce over pasta. ***can be refrigerated one day if desired; bringing to room temp before proceeding.***.
- 7Sprinkle to with Parmesan and bread crumbs.
- 8Bake for 15-20 minutes or until pasta is bubbling and crumbs turn brown.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cauliflower Mac N' Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (167 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 393.9
- Calories from Fat 126
- Total Fat 14.0 g
- Saturated Fat 4.8 g
- Cholesterol 16.3 mg
- Sodium 353.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 16.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: