This recipe comes from a Food Network show, I've changed it somewhat to use less ingredients but still retain the flavor. You MUST use an iron skillet.
- Slice the cauliflower lengthwise, about 1/8-inch thick. (save the little cauliflower "crumbs")
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large iron skillet over medium heat.
- When hot, but not smoking, add the cauliflower slices, spreading out into a single layer.
- Do not stir, but let the vegetables cook, undisturbed, until nicely browned on the bottom, about 3 minutes.
- Add the salt, reserved cauliflower crumbs, garlic powder, and red pepper flakes, and give the vegetables a gentle stir.
- Continue cooking, only stirring once or twice, until the vegetables are cooked through and nicely browned, about 5 minutes more.
I didn't have an iron skillet, but managed to make the recipe anyway substituting cayenne pepper for red pepper flakes (I was out) and found it quite tasty! You'll probably still have to disguise it with cheese for the kids though :-)
This was quite tasty, especially for low carbers. I used the iron skillet, and they browned up beautifully. I think the addition of some onions may be good with this too. Thanks for a great recipe!
I have seen a few recipes substituting Caulikflower for potatoes and decided to try your recipe. It was very tasty and I will make it again because of the calories but I prefer hashbrowns. I did not have a cast Iron pan and I know you strssed MUST - I think it affected the browning but they were still tasty. Thanks kskillmore for a new taste experience