1/6 Photos of Cauliflower Gratin With Manchego and Almond Sauce
This outrageously rich sauce, flavored with salty, nutty Manchego, gets poured on sautéed cauliflower and baked until it's golden and bubbling. MAKE AHEAD: The gratin can be prepared through Step 4 and refrigerated overnight. Bring it to room temperature before baking.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup half-and-half
- 1/2 cup almonds, whole roasted with skin
- 2 tablespoons almonds, coarsely chopped
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup manchego cheese, finely shredded (or other mildly nutty semi-aged sheep's or cow's-milk cheese) or 3/4 cup gouda cheese, plus
- 2 tablespoons manchego cheese, finely shredded or 2 tablespoons gouda cheese
- nutmeg, freshly grated
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 lbs cauliflower, cut into 1 1/2-inch florets
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika (Pimenta de la Vera- smoked Spanish paprika)
- 1Preheat the oven to 400°; In a small saucepan, heat the half-and-half until steaming, then transfer it to a food processor or blender; Add the 1/2 cup of whole almonds and process until finely ground; Let stand for 10 minutes; Strain the half-and-half through a fine sieve set over a bowl, pressing on the almonds to extract as much liquid as possible; Discard the ground almonds.
- 2In a medium saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter; Add the flour and whisk over moderately high heat for 1 minute; Add the milk and the half-and-half and cook, whisking constantly, until thickened, 5 minutes; Remove from the heat; Add 3/4 cup of the Manchego and whisk until melted; Whisk in the nutmeg; season with salt and pepper. Keep warm.
- 3In a large skillet, bring 1/2 inch of salted water to a boil; Add the cauliflower, cover and cook over high heat until crisp-tender, about 4 minutes; Drain the cauliflower in a colander; Wipe out the skillet.
- 4Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in the skillet; Add the onion and cook over moderately high heat, stirring until lightly browned, about 5 minutes; Add the cauliflower and cook, stirring until lightly golden, about 2 minutes; Season lightly with salt and pepper; Transfer the cauliflower to a 7-by-10-inch glass or ceramic baking dish and spread the Manchego sauce on top.
- 5Sprinkle the gratin with the remaining cheese, the 2 tablespoons of chopped almonds and the paprika and bake in the center of the oven for 20 minutes, or until bubbling and browned on top; Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cauliflower Gratin With Manchego and Almond Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (267 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 271.3
- Calories from Fat 183
- Total Fat 20.3 g
- Saturated Fat 8.4 g
- Cholesterol 35.6 mg
- Sodium 125.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 6.4 g
- Protein 8.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: