Recipe by Manami
Recipe by Chef Jose Andrés, from "Christmas with a Spanish Accent" appeared in F&W Magazine, 12/2006 edition. To create these wonderful tapas, Andrés makes a batter with crunchy nubs of chopped cauliflower florets, fries spoonfuls in a skillet and then tops them with yogurt or sour cream sauce and a dollop of caviar.
- 1⁄2 large head cauliflower, florets finely chopped (2 cups)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground allspice (optional)
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, plus more for frying
- 6 tablespoons whole-milk yogurt or 6 tablespoons sour cream
- salmon caviar, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Bring a medium saucepan of salted water to a boil.
- Add the cauliflower and cook for 2 minutes.
- Drain well, then spread the cauliflower on a paper towel–lined baking sheet to cool; pat the cauliflower dry.
- In a small bowl, combine 1/2 teaspoon of salt with the baking powder, cumin, coriander, pepper and allspice.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt at high speed until firm peaks form.
- Fold in the cauliflower and the spice mixture.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet.
- Very lightly oil the skillet.
- Drop tablespoons of the fritter batter into the skillet and cook over moderately high heat until browned on the bottom, about 2 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to moderate and cook until browned on the other side, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer the fritters to a large rimmed baking sheet.
- Repeat with the remaining batter, coating the skillet with oil as needed.
- In a small bowl, blend the yogurt or sour cream with the 1 1/2 teaspoons of olive oil and season with salt.
- Reheat the fritters in the oven, about 2 minutes.
- Garnish each fritter with 1/2 teaspoon of yogurt sauce and some caviar.
- Transfer to a platter and serve.
- *MAKE AHEAD The fritters can be fried earlier in the day and kept at room temperature. Reheat before serving.