Recipe by Ex-Pat Mama
Panch Phoran is an Indian 5 spice mixture made up of equal parts: Mustard Seed, Cumin Seed, Fennel Seed, Fenugreek Seed and Nigella Seed. You can buy it ready made, or mix your own.
- 1 1⁄2 cups red lentils, they actually look orange to me
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon five-spice seasoning, directions are in the recipe description above. Food.com doesn't recognize the words Panch Phoran
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 inch piece ginger, minced
- red pepper flakes
- 4 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 1⁄2 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse and sort the lentils. Add them to the 4 cups water in a large pot with the turmeric and salt. Bring to a boil and allow to simmer for about 30 minutes. Set this pot aside.
- Meanwhile prepare the vegetables: Heat a large deep skillet (non-stick is best). When the pan is hot add the oil and shake it around to completely cover the surface. Add the panch phoran and as soon as the first seed pops and sizzles add the onion, garlic, ginger, and red pepper flakes. Stir and cook for about 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes, cauliflower and 1/2 cup water. Bring to the boil, cover and cook for about 10 minutes until the cauliflower is soft.
- Add the dal to the cauliflower mixture and stir well. Check the seasonings and adjust as necessary.
- Serve over rice. Yum!