Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
Yes, really.......this pizza was made with a cauliflower crust! I can't tell you how excited I am about this recipe. When I first saw this posted I thought the pizza looked so appetizing that I knew I had to give this a try. I was a little skeptical but only because I didn't want to get my hopes up. I'm always trying to cut out a few carbs and I'm always craving pizza. I had all the ingredients on hand so I was happy to whip up an onion pizza, my favorite! Well.... let-me-tell-you, this is surprisingly-unbelievably-amazingly good!!! Pizza night is officially back!!!
Ingredients for Crust
- 1⁄2 head of a large cauliflower
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 cup of shredded parmesan cheese
Toppings for Pizza
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup vegetables
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Break the cauliflower into floret's and use a food processor or cheese grater to shred the cauliflower into little bits. It takes about 10-12 pulses in the food processor to get the right consistency, being careful not to over process and make a puree.
- Transfer to a large bowl and cook in the microwave, uncovered, for 8 minutes on high heat. It is not necessary to add water, the cauliflower will steam on it's own.
- Let the cauliflower cool slightly and mix in all remaining crust ingredients.
- Spray a pizza pan or sheet pan with non-stick spray liberally and spread out the mixture. Go for a pretty thin pizza, this will ensure crispiness. Spray the top lightly with cooking spray.
- Place the crust in the oven and cook for 20 minutes. It will get crispy and dark in many areas. Important tip: before you top the crust with toppings, be sure to take a large spatula and very gently loosen the bottom of the crust from the pan. This will prevent it from sticking as you cook it further.
- Top the crust with your favorite toppings and bake until cheese is melted, about 10-15 minutes, and turn on the broiler for 2-3 minutes to crisp the top to your liking.
- Tips for the perfect low carb pizza crust:.
- Spray a non-stick pan liberally with non-stick spray.
- Be sure to cook the crust on a high temperature, 400 degrees for 25 minutes or until crispy on the bottom and firm on the top. Every oven varies but the key is to have a crispy bottom so that the pizza stays together and slices up nicely.
- After the crust is pre-baked, loosen it gently with a spatula so that it does not stick to the pan as you continue to cook the pizza with toppings.
- If you go a little lighter on the sauce and toppings, the pizza will hold together better. The Margherita Pizza toppings of buffalo mozzarella and vine ripe tomato slices are a perfect choice.
- Follow these tips and you will have perfect low carb pizza that is so delicious that you won't feel like you are missing a thing.
- I hope you let me know how it works out for you and what your favorite toppings are!
Well that was disappointing. I thought I found the perfect cauliflower crust without having to wring it out through a tea towel. The only thing I did different was I used the whole large cauliflower so I doubled the whole recipe. It was so moist, it didn't crisp up and we couldn't pick it up. I didn't make it that thick either because I don't like thick pizza crust. Now that's not the end of the world, but I really do enjoy picking up slices of pizza. I only used 1/2 the recipe for the pizza, I used a large pizza stone, and I froze the rest. I'm thinking once it's thawed out, I will squeeze the liquid out of it and see how that works. The flavour was pretty good though. I really want to find the perfect cauliflower pizza crust.