Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
Perfect on a chilly night !!
- knob butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large cauliflower, about 900 grams, cut into florets
- 1 potato, peeled, cut into chunks
- 700 ml vegetable stock
- 400 ml milk
- 100 g cheddar cheese, diced
- Heat butter in large saucepan.
- Add onion, cook till soft.
- Add cauliflower, potato, stock, milk and seasoning.
- Bring to the boil, reduce heat, simmer 30 mins or till cauli is cooked and potato soft.
- Whizz in food processor till thick and cream.
- Add more milk to thin if you like.
- Stir through cheese pieces.
This was a nice warmer on a cold, snowy night. I added a couple of chopped up celery stalks along with the onion since they were in the vegetable drawer and had to be used up. My head of cauliflower was huge, so I added an extra potato to balance things out. After the soup had cooked quite a while, I sampled it and decided to add a pinch of thyme, rosemary and a dash of fine herbs (a seasoning blend). For the cheese, I used shredded medium cheddar. Once the soup was fully cooked I just used my potato masher and mashed the vegetables well. It was not smooth, but my family enjoys having little chunks of vegetables in their soup. This was a very nice change from our regular cream of potato soup...the cauliflower added a bit of an unexpected sweetness which everyone enjoyed. I have added this recipe to our winter soup rotation. Thanks for posting it Kate. Made and reviewed for the 62nd AUS/NZ Recipe Swap.
This is a pleasant, bone-warming soup to enjoy on a chilly winter's day. I made this exactly as posted, except I used my immersion blender to puree the soup. I also used a combination of shredded sharp and mild cheddar cheese, which I think blended more easily. Thanks for sharing!
Thick and creamy. I made this as written, but decided to add more cheese (I used sharp cheddar). It was very easy to make. I left some of the soup unblended for a tiny bit of texture. I sprinkled a little ground nutmeg on top to serve. I would probably add some other herb or spice next time to add just a little more flavor. Overall, it's a lovely, easy soup. Thanx!