Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is one of Jamie Oliver's recipes. It is delicious! My whole family loves this, even my 8 year old..and he doesn't usually eat soup at all!! I totally recommend adding the bacon as a garnish, it really finishes it off!
- 2 carrots
- 2 sticks celery
- 2 medium onions
- 2 garlic cloves
- 800 g cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 200 g cheddar cheese
- 2 vegetable bouillon cubes (or chicken)
- sea salt
- black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 teaspoon English mustard
- nutmeg (optional)
- 1 7⁄8 liters water, boiling
- Peel and roughly chop the carrots.
- Slice the celery.
- Peel and roughly chop the onions.
- Peel and slice the garlic.
- Cut the cauliflower into 1.5cm slices.
- Put a large pan on medium heat and add 2tb olive oil.
- Add all your chopped and sliced ingredients and mix together with a wooden spoon.
- Cook for around 10 minutes with the lid askew, until the carrots have softened but are still holding their shape, and the onion is lightly golden.
- Grate the cheddar into a bowl and put to one side for later.
- Put the stock cubes into a jug or pan and pour in 1.8 litres of boiling water from the kettle.
- Stir until the stock cubes are dissolved, then add the vegetables.
- Give the soup a good stir and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes with the lid on.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- Season with salt and pepper and add the cheese and mustard.
- Using a hand blender or liquidizer, pulse the soup until silky smooth.
- Divide between your serving bowls and grate over some nutmeg, if you like.
- If you want to dress it up a bit, top it with some lightly fried crispy bacon.
I tried this recipe because I am out of butter and milk which are included in every other recipe for this soup. It is excellent! Of course I am out of carrots too, so I threw in a couple of potatoes. Very very good! I guess I need to go shopping!
A truly delicious soup. To be honest I was concerned the flavour would be a bit bland as the main ingredient is cauliflower, but the other ingredients warmed up the flavour beautifully. I left out the olive oil and cooked the vegetables in stock from the start and, using Weight Watchers brand cheese, this recipe provided a total of 9 WW points (without oil). I will be bringing this recipe into my regular soup rotation and I'm sure it will curb many cheese cravings! Thanks so much for this super keeper!
I became a fan of this soup and buying it three times a week from Woolworths Jamie Oliver range and then I found this recipe and gave it a go.. Wow tastes even better. Thank you! I Really enjoyed this soup, easy to make and a delicious result! My husband is no veggie or soup fan and he devoured this. Thank you.