Recipe by GinnyP
Decadent! Found the recipe on www.justvegetablerecipes.com. The only changes I made were to include gf directions and to rewrite the recipe to make it easier to understand. This is a keeper! Kids may not even know they are eating a vegetable. : )
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons butter (4 T if using gf flour)
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons flour (I use Kinnikinnick gf flour)
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 cup gouda cheese, grated
- 6 eggs, separated (yolks in large mixing bowl; whites in medium)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Steam cauliflower until tender.
- Cool slightly and chop fine; set aside.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over low heat.
- Whisk in flour and stir for a couple minutes or until golden.
- Remove from heat and slowly pour in the milk while beating with a wire whisk until very smooth.
- Return to heat and bring to a quick boil, then reduce heat to simmer.
- Add cheese and salt.
- Cook, stirring all the while, until thickened and smooth; remove from heat.
- Beat egg yolks, adding white sauce slowly, then stir in cauliflower.
- Beat egg whites with electric hand mixer until stiff.
- Fold into mixture and spoon into a greased 2-qt souffle dish.
- Bake in a pan of hot water for 35 to 45 minutes.
- Serve immediately.