Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This traditional British dish has cauliflower that is steamed till soft but I brought it an other level and roasted it first. Using Roasted Cauliflower & 16 Roasted Cloves of Garlic PLEASE PLEASE don't eat the roasted cauliflower before making the final dish. You may want to double the roasting part so you and anyone the inhales the aroma from the kitchen can munch on it, till the final product is done. Don't stop at rosemary! if you enjoy herbs as I do, do add all 4 parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme as Simon & Garfunkel sang....
- roasted cauliflower. 1 large cauliflower (trimmed and cut into bite size pieces, washed with water still on)
- 16 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 -2 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary (some people used Oregano)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted or 2 tablespoons smart balance butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups warm milk, fat free
- 2 ounces shredded cheddar cheese, plus some to top
- Prepare Cauliflower:.
- Mix oil, rosemary, salt, pepper and garlic together.
- Toss in cauliflower and place in a large casserole dish in one layer.
- Roast in a preheated oven at 450 degrees for 20 minutes; give a toss and bake for 10 more minutes.
- Place the butter and flour into a microwave safe glass container whisk to incorporate.
- Whisk in the milk Continue stirring until the sauce is thickened about 3 minutes. If the sauce is very thick add a little more milk, the sauce should be thick but still runny. Add the grated cheese and stir until melted.
- Place the florets in a greased 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Pour the thickened cheese sauce over the cauliflower ensuring all the florets are covered. Sprinkle with grated cheese and a good twist of black pepper.
- Bake in the hot oven until the sauce is bubbling and golden brown on the top, approx 30 minutes.
I'm a big fan of the original recipe, and had high hopes for this one! But what can I say....the original is better. This is yummy, but perfection is hard to improve on. My sauce didn't work in the microwave per the directions....ended up taking it out of the microwave and putting it in a saucepan, making the cheese sauce on the stovetop. This was great, but the original cauliflower with 16 cloves of garlic was tastier to me. This was just a bit too heavy. Thanks for sharing!