Recipe by MarieRynr
This delicious vegetarian entree is very easy to put together and uses things that most people have in their pantry's. The grated potato crust is fabulous and I can imagine using it for all sorts of entrees. If you love cauliflower cheese, this pie is for you!
Top Review by Meredith K.
This recipe is EXACTLY the one from Mollie Katzen's original Moosewood Cookbook, so let's give credit! It's very good. I made this last night with broccoli, and that works very well with the sharp cheddar. My dish is 10", so I used slightly more of everything, including using 3 eggs. I also added about 1/4 C of red bell pepper slivers, which made it very pretty. My only complaint about this recipe is that the crust got too brown, especially around the sides. Overall, though, this is very good.
- 2 cups packed grated raw potatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup grated onion
- 1 cup packed grated strong cheddar cheese
- 1 medium cauliflower, broken into small florets
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 dash thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Set the freshly grated potato in a colander over a bowl. Salt it and leave for 10 minutes. Then, squeeze out the excess water. Beat in the egg, salt and grated onion.
- Pat into a well oiled 9 inch pie tin, building up the sides of the crust with lightly floured fingers. Bake at 400*F for 40 to 45 minutes, until browned. After the first 30 minutes, crush with some more oil to crispen it.
- Meanwhile saute the onions and garlic in the butter for 5 minutes. Add the herbs and cauliflower and cook, covered, 10 minutes longer, stirring occasionally. Season to taste with salt and the pepper.
- Spread half the cheese into the baked crust. Top with the saute, then the rest of the cheese. Beat together the egg and milk and carefully pour over. Dust with paprika.
- Lower the oven temperature to 375*F and bake for 35 to 40 minutes longer, until custard is set and is pie is nicely browned.