Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a delightful way to eat cauliflower. I got this recipe at a Farmer's Market, too many years to say. I make it for a good vegetarian meal.
- 2 cups packed grated raw potatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup grated onion
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 medium head cauliflower, broken into small flowerets
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium garlic clove, crushed
- Set the freshly-grated potatoes in a colander over a bowl. Salt it and leave it for 10 minutes. Then squeeze out the excess water, and add to the remaining ingredients.
- Pat it into a well-oiled 9-inch pie pan, building up the sides of the crust with lightly floured fingers.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 40-50 minutes, until browned.
- After the first 30 minutes, brush the crust with a little oil to crispen it.
- Turn oven down to 375 degrees.
- Saute onions and garlic in butter for 5 minutes; add the basil and cauliflower and cook, covered, 10 minutes, stirring occasionaly.
- Spread 1/2 the cheese into the baked crust, then the saute, then the rest of the cheese.
- Beat the eggs and the milk together and pour over the vegetables.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 35-40 minutes until set.
This looks similar to the recipe I've been using for years, from Mollie Katzen's Moosewood Cookbook. It's a great way to serve cauliflower. I top it with lots of paprika. My family likes it served with cooked carrots glazed with brown sugar and butter.
This recipe is a great combination of comfort food and class. A super way to turn what, for us, is typically a weekday dish into something rather special. A definate keeper of a recipe that will be made again. PS: I made this exactly as written but next time I'm going to see if I can get away without salting the potatoes (although it might affect the crispness of the crust)!
Takes a little time to make, but is worth it! Very tasty for dinner or brunch. My family loves it. Works great with other vegetables, like broccoli, as well.