Recipe by English_Rose
Cheese was often made in individual farmhouses and was combined with cauliflowers grown either in the fields or in the kitchen garden. Adding a few ounces of whisky adds an extra flavour to this popular dish.
- 1 medium cauliflower
- 6 ounces mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄4 cups heavy cream
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 6 tablespoons Scotch whisky
- 1 ounce fine oatmeal
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup mixed nuts, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove the cauliflower stalks and cook the florets in hot water for five minutes.
- Drain and put into an ovenproof dish with the chopped mushrooms and green peppers mixed inches
- Heat the cream gently in a small pan, add the cheese, stirring frequently. When the cheese has melted, remove from the heat and mix in the whisky and oatmeal.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and the pinch of nutmeg. Pour over the cauliflower and sprinkle the chopped nuts on top.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 350F for 45 minutes. Serve immediately.