Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
Cheese was often made in individual farmhouses and was combined with cauliflowers grown either in the fields or in the kitchen garden. Adding a few ounces of whisky adds an extra flavour to this popular dish.
- 1 medium cauliflower
- 6 ounces mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄4 cups heavy cream
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 6 tablespoons Scotch whisky
- 1 ounce fine oatmeal
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup mixed nuts, chopped
- Remove the cauliflower stalks and cook the florets in hot water for five minutes.
- Drain and put into an ovenproof dish with the chopped mushrooms and green peppers mixed inches
- Heat the cream gently in a small pan, add the cheese, stirring frequently. When the cheese has melted, remove from the heat and mix in the whisky and oatmeal.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and the pinch of nutmeg. Pour over the cauliflower and sprinkle the chopped nuts on top.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 350F for 45 minutes. Serve immediately.
Fantastic! I used half sharp cheddar and half smoked gouda, outrageous!! Thank you so much for sharing.
I really enjoyed this different way of preparing cauliflower (I usually make it Rita's way, roasted with rosemary and 16 cloves of garlic). However, this was a nice departure and good for special occasions when calories don't count (when is that? Ha! ha!). Anyway, I thought the cheese sauce was very good. I used portabella for the mushrooms and all walnuts for the mixed nuts, as that is what I had on hand. This made a nice side for grilled beef ribs. Thanks! Made for ZWT6.
Finally a recipe where I didn't have to be concerned about only liking barely-cooked mushrooms! I really did chop them into very small pieces & followed the recipe right on down, & for me it was an most unusual, though very tasty, way of dressing up a vegetable that we do enjoy often, & now I have a wonderful new way of preparing it, thanks to you! [Made & reviewed while in Great Britain with ZWT6]