Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
From the Dairy Book of British Food. "The smoothness of the cheese sauce contrasts well with the slight crispness of the cauliflower. Double Gloucester is a pale, mild cheese with a gentle, salty tang. Worcestershilre sauce and chutney give a lively depth of flavor to this dish". If you can't get Gloucestershire cheese, try a mild to medium fairly crumbly cheddar.
- 8 ounces cauliflower florets
- 1 ounce whole meal flour
- 1 ounce butter
- 1⁄2 pint milk
- 3 ounces double Gloucester cheese, grated
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tomatoes, skinned and chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato chutney
- Blanch the cauliflower in boiling, salted water for 10 minutes or until tender. Drain well.
- Put the flour, butter and milk in a saucepan. Heat, whisking continuously, until the sauce thickens, boils, and is smooth. Simmer 2 - 3 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat, add most of the cheeseand stir until melted. Mix in the Worcestershire sauce.
- Place the tomatoes and chutney in the base of a 1 1/4 pint flameproof dish. Cover with the cauliflower and cheese sauce.
- Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and grill it in the oven until bubbling and golden brown.
- Serve with brown bread.