Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Cauliflower cheese is traditional British food. Found the recipe on britishfood.about.com. Posted for ZWT6.
- Heat the oven to 395F/200C/Gas 7.
- Remove the green outer leaves from the cauliflower and steam whole over a pan of boiling water for 10 minutes.
- Remove the cauliflower from the heat and leave to cool.
- Place the butter and flour into a large saucepan.
- Over a low heat stir the butter and flour until the butter has melted and the flour is incorporated.
- Add the salt and mustard powder and continue stirring for 2 minutes.
- Turn the heat up to medium and add the milk in one go and whisk furiously until all a smooth sauce is formed.
- Continue stirring until the sauce is thickened and glossy (about 5 minutes).
- If the sauce is very thick add a little more milk, the sauce should be thick but still runny.
- Add the grated cheese and stir until melted.
- Remove from the heat.
- Break the cauliflower florets from the thick, central stalk taking care not to break it into tiny pieces.
- Place the florets in a baking dish large enough to hold all the florets in one layer.
- Pour the thickened cheese sauce over the cauliflower ensuring all the florets are covered.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese and a good twist of black pepper.
- Bake in the hot oven until the sauce is bubbling and golden brown on the top, approximately 30 minutes.
We enjoyed this version of cauliflower with cheese. The mustard was a nice touch. Thanks for sharing. Made for ZWT 6.
We loved this recipe. Great flavors and so creamy! Made for ZWT 6.
This is one of my favorite cauliflower recipes. The sauce is thick and tasty. I used sharp cheddar for this. I also think the mustard powder is imperative to making this dish as wonderful as it is..... don't skip it! This is perfect for everyday or a fancy dinner. Thanx for posting!