This is a modified recipe, originally called Farmhouse Cheddar Soup, which I clipped out years ago. I make it often and freeze in individual servings to reheat. You can reserve 1 1/2 c of the cauliflowerets to saute in some butter and add after the soup has been pureed. I usually just puree it all in the soup pot with a hand blender.
- 4 cups water or 4 cups stock
- 2 cups chopped potatoes
- 1 head cauliflower, broken into flowerets
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (6 oz)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dill
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- Combine water/stock, potatoes, cauliflower, onion, carrot and garlic in large pot.
- Bring to a boil.
- Simmer 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Remove from heat and let cool 20 minutes.
- Puree in food processor or blender or use hand blender.
- Return to pan and stir in remaining ingredients until cheese melts.
Good flavors! Next time I would not puree, I would just use a potato masher, I prefer a less smoothe texture. DH made the comment that this recipe didn't taste "homemade". I was slightly offended. :)
Was thinking of leaving in the fridge for lunches but after tasting, it will be on the dinner table tonight. Absolutely delicious. Great soup
Really, really delicious! Thanks for posting!