Top Review by David Stobbe
Good way to use up that cauliflower. I would suggest next time using only egg whites and beating them stiff, then folding them into the mixture. That way, the casserole will be a big lighter and not as heavy.
- 1 head cauliflower, broken into small flowettes
- 4 potatoes, peeled
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 3 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup cheese gruyere (or other hard cheese)
- cayenne pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the califlower in boiling salted water for 15 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, cook the potatoes in boiling water for 15 minutes or longer until tender.
- Drain the potatoes and caulflower and place in mixing bowl.
- Add the butter, salt and pepper.
- Mash together to make a puree it is better to use a potato masher as a food processor can make it too mushy.
- Beat the eggs into the puree, one at a time, then stir in the cheese reserving 2 tablespoons of the cheese.
- Spoon into a greased dish, and bake one hour with foil on it in a moderate oven.
- Before serving, sprinkle the cheese on top and put under the broiler before serving.
- This can be prepared in the morning and put in the frig under one hour before serving.
- Total cooking time may be slightly under 1 hour if your oven is at 375 degrees.