Recipe by *Parsley*
Top Review by BarbryT
YUM! Itâ€™s a 5-star for me fershure! The seasonings were adjusted slightlyâ€¦more paprika, a little less white pepper and mustard. I did add some gouda to melt into the sauce, which I think was a fine idea, and since I used a shallow but wide dish, I used more cheese and buttered cracker crumbs to cover the top. I love this and certainly will make it again. Thanks for posting it!
- 1 large cauliflower, broken into flowerets
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄3 cup chopped scallion, white and light green parts
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 cup shredded gouda cheese, smoked Gouda is really good here
- 1⁄2 cup crushed cracker, like Ritz
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375. Lightly grease a 2-qt baking dish; set aside.
- Cook cauliflower in boiling salted water until crisp-tender (about 6-7 minutes); drain.
- Place cooked and drained flowerets into the prepared baking dish.
- Meanwhile, melt 3 tbsp of the butter in a saucepan and saute the scallions for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the flour until smooth.
- Very gradually add milk, stirring constantly. Add salt, pepper and paprika.
- Continue cooking and stirring until sauce is thickened and smooth, for about 3 minutes. Stir in the mustard .
- Evenly pour the sauce over cauliflower in the baking dish.
- Sprinkle the Gouda cheese over casserole.
- Mix the crushed crackers with the 3 tbsp of melted butter; sprinkle over top of the cheese layer.
- Bake at 375 for 20 minutes.