Recipe by Sage
This is from Norene Gilletz's Healthy Helpings. I tinkered with it a bit. It is full of good flavours and good for you. This can be served as a lunch with some crackers or in a small soup bowl for the first course at a dinner party. I made ths with broccoli intead of cauliflower; came out excellent.
Top Review by FrenchBunny
This was a very yummy soup. I love the flavors of the mix of veggies. The only thing I did different was to add half and half instead of skim milk. I used my immersion blender in the soup but left a few pieces. Wonderful taste. Thanks so much for the recipe post Sage.
- 2 onions
- 2 stalks celery
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 cauliflower, cut-up
- 3 potatoes, cut-up
- 4 large carrots, cut-up
- 1 roasted red pepper, cut-up
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups skim milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare vegetables.
- In large sauce pan, heat oil.
- Add onions,celery and garlic.
- Sauté on medium-low heat about 5 minutes stirring occasionally. If necessary add a little water to prevent sticking.
- Add potatoes, carrots and broth to sautéed vegetables.Bring to a boil. and simmer 20 minutes uncovered.
- Add cauliflower and red pepper.
- Simmer another another 15- 20 minutes vegetables are tender.
- Pureé with hand blender or potato masher to break up vegetables; leave the soup chunky.
- Add milk, thyme, salt and pepper to taste.
- At this point you can more or less milk depending on how thick you want to have your soup.
- I used Carnation no fat milk.
- Reheats and freezes well.
- You can replace the cauliflower with broccoli for a different version.