Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs 40 mins
Delicious! Bon Appetit, March 2007. We made it without the truffle oil (didn't have any on hand) and gon't like it that much.
- 1 small head cauliflower, cored, cut into 1-inch florets (about 1 pound)
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon truffle oil
- 1 refrigerated pie crust
- 2 large onions, halved lengthwise, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 large eggs
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 cup grated gruyere cheese
- 3⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Position rack in center of oven; preheat to 425°F
- Toss cauliflower with 1 tablespoon olive oil in large bowl.
- Spread on large rimmed baking sheet, spacing apart.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast 15 minutes; turn florets over.
- Continue roasting until tender, about 25 minutes longer.
- Cool cauliflower, then thinly slice.
- Drizzle with truffle oil; toss.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350°F.
- Press pie crust onto bottom and up sides of 9-inch-diameter tart pan with removable bottom.
- Line pie crust with foil; fill with pie weights.
- Bake crust 20 minutes.
- Remove foil and pie weights; bake until crust is golden, about 5 minutes, pressing crust with back of fork if bubbles form.
- Cool crust.
- Maintain oven temperature.
- Heat remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cook until onion is deep golden brown, stirring occasionally, about 40 minutes.
- Cool slightly.
- DO AHEAD Can be made 1 day ahead.
- Store crust at room temperature.
- Cover and chill cauliflower and onion separately.
- Brush bottom and sides of crust with mustard.
- Spread onion in crust.
- Arrange cauliflower evenly over.
- Set tart on rimmed baking sheet.
- Whisk eggs and next 4 ingredients in medium bowl.
- Stir in Gruyere.
- Pour mixture over filling in tart pan; sprinkle with Parmesan.
- Bake until tart is golden and center is set, about 40 minutes.
- Transfer to rack; cool 15 minutes before serving.