Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
i saw this recipe in bon appetit, it sounds like a soup i had recently, and couldn't believe it was cauliflower
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄8 teaspoon saffron, crumbled
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs cauliflower, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 3⁄4 cup half-and-half
- combine chicken broth, water and bring to simmer.
- add saffron to pan, remove from heat, steep for 20 minutes.
- in pot heat butter, add onions, cauliflower, salt and pepper, stir to coat, add saffron broth, simmer for 20 minutes, covered in blender in batches, or with immersion blender puree all, add 3/4 c half and half.
My husband said this is as good a soup as he has ever had. He said I had outdone myself...little did he know that I was just trying to use up some leftover cauliflower. It was easy, quick and I had everything on hand. Delicious!!! A definite keeper!
This would be a perfect soup course for an elegant dinner party. Very tasty but light so it wont fill you up. The only change I made was tossing in about 1/2 cup cheese sauce that I had leftover which did not really alter the flavor. Just gave the soup a slight hint of cheese.
This soup was really good, and you're right -- it doesn't taste like cauliflower! The saffron makes it a beautiful color, too. I used milk instead of cream, because I'm on a diet, as usual. It worked well, and I'll certainly make the soup again.