Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From The Little Paris Kitchen
Make and share this Cauliflower Bake With Hazelnut Crunch Crust recipe from Food.com.
- 3 lbs heads cauliflower, trimmed and separated into florets
- 1⁄3 cup hazelnuts, finely chopped
- 1 slice of extra crunchy toast, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk, slightly warmed
- 1⁄4 onion, skin removed
- 1 clove
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 7 ounces gruyere cheese, grated (can also use Comte or Parmesan)
- To begin with, steam the cauliflower in a colander fitted inside a pan. Steam for around 15 minutes so the cauliflower still has some bite left in it.
- For the sauce, melt the butter in a medium sized pan. Add the flour and stir hard until a smooth paste is achieved.
- Take off the heat and leave for a couple of minutes. Slowly add the milk, mixing all the time.
- Place it back on the heat and add the clove, bay leaf and leek. Simmer for 10 minutes, constantly stirring.
- Remove the leek, bay leaf and clove. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pre heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Stir the cheese into the sauce, saving a bit to sprinkle on top. Mix the cauliflower into the sauce and give it a good stir. Pour into a baking tin.
- Sprinkle on the remaining cheese and top with the crushed hazelnuts and broken up pieces of toast.
- Bake for 20 minutes and then place under the broiler for a few minutes to get a golden and bubbling crust.