Recipe by Carmen B.
This is a great way to make cauliflower. Add more cheese if desired. I used light cream when I made this. You can cover and chill for up to 24 hrs if making ahead. Bake in oven covered for 15 min then uncovered for 10 min.
- 1 (1 1/2 lb) cauliflower
- 1 small onion, chopped (1/3 cup)
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 dash ground red pepper
- 1 cup half-and-half or 1 cup light cream or 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons snipped parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash cauliflower and remove leaves and woody stem.
- Break into floweretts. (You should have about 4 cups.)
- In a medium saucepan cook cauliflower, covered, in a small amount of boiling salted water for 5 minutes. Drain.
- In the same saucepan cook onion in margarine or butter until onion is tender but not brown.
- Stir in the flour, salt, pepper, and ground red pepper.
- Add half-and-half, light cream, or milk all at once.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly.
- Add cheese, stirring until cheese melts.
- Stir in cooked cauliflower.
- Transfer mixture to a 1-quart casserole.
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven about 15 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle the top with the snipped parsley.