Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a great way to make cauliflower. Add more cheese if desired. I used light cream when I made this. You can cover and chill for up to 24 hrs if making ahead. Bake in oven covered for 15 min then uncovered for 10 min.
- 1 (1 1/2 lb) cauliflower
- 1 small onion, chopped (1/3 cup)
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 dash ground red pepper
- 1 cup half-and-half or 1 cup light cream or 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons snipped parsley
- Wash cauliflower and remove leaves and woody stem.
- Break into floweretts. (You should have about 4 cups.)
- In a medium saucepan cook cauliflower, covered, in a small amount of boiling salted water for 5 minutes. Drain.
- In the same saucepan cook onion in margarine or butter until onion is tender but not brown.
- Stir in the flour, salt, pepper, and ground red pepper.
- Add half-and-half, light cream, or milk all at once.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly.
- Add cheese, stirring until cheese melts.
- Stir in cooked cauliflower.
- Transfer mixture to a 1-quart casserole.
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven about 15 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle the top with the snipped parsley.
This was really good, and really easy to make. It's like making mac and cheese only with cauliflower! I could definitely be adapted for other veggies. Great recipe!
Great way to enjoy cauliflower! It's not "drowning" in the cheese sauce, so you can still appreciate the cauliflower. I used low-fat milk and used a bit more than a dash of red pepper. This is a keeper; thanx for sharing!