Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
A low fat version of Aloo gobi. Its quite saucy so serve with some chapattis or naan bread.
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 4 cm gingerroot, grated
- 1 teaspoon light muscovado sugar
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 400 g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 sweet potatoes, cubed
- 1 cauliflower, cut into florets
- 400 g tinned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 250 ml water
- Heat oil in a large pan and cook onions, ginger and sugar for 5 minutes.
- Add cumin, tomatoes, turmeric, coriander, chilli, and the water, bring to a simmer.
- Add potatoes, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add cauliflower, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas, simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- Add lemon juice and serve.
I doubled the spices, added curry powder and left out the sugar and it was really good. Our sweet potatoes should have been cut larger for the amount of cooking time in this recipe.
This recipe is very simialar to those I have had in restaurants. I use 1 tsp cumin-coriander powder and 1 tsp garam masala, also I omitted the sugar. :)