Recipe by Olha
Most classic purees usually include large quantities of butter or heavy cream. This recipe is lighter, less rich and delicious. One night I made dinner and, without asking, served a puree of cauliflower and potatoes with broiled chicken and string beans. The puree, which was enough for six, was devoured by four, and I now receive frequent requests for it. Use this recipe as a guide for pureeing other vegetables. Use a ration of potato to vegetable 1 to 3 or, at most, 1 to 2. NOTE: Using a food processor to puree potatoes alone will make them pasty, but using it to puree them together with another vegetable works exceptionally well. I had to do it in two batches because I have a smaller food processor. Put cauliflower in first then the potatoes on top. I did not have to use milk it was smooth enough without it. Yummy!
- 1 cauliflower, cored and separated into florets (about 3 pounds)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs potatoes, peeled (2 to 3 large potatoes)
- 1⁄4 cup milk, to 1/2 cup as needed
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil the vegetables until tender, about 15 minutes for the cauliflower and 30 minutes for the potatoes.
- Drain the vegetables and puree them together in a food processor. The puree should be moist enough, but if it isn’t, add some milk.
- Stir in the butter and season with the salt and pepper. Blend well. (The puree can be made a day or two in advance and covered with plastic wrap to prevent it from drying out. Reheat in a water bath (bain-marie) or microwave oven.).
- NOTE: When boiling vegetables for a puree, I find that very little additional liquid is necessary for the puree. I steamed my vegetables until soft.
- In step 1, when you cook the cauliflower, add one or all of the following: 1 onion, diced; 2 garlic cloves, or 2 carrots, thickly sliced.
- PUREE de NAVETS (Turnip Puree): To use turnips in place of cauliflower, boil equal amounts of potatoes and turnips, cut into chunks, until tender, about 15 minutes for turnips and 30 minutes for potatoes. Prepare as above.
- PUREE de BROCOLI (Broccoli Puree): Substitute 3 pounds of broccoli for the cauliflower.
- At Home With The French Classics.