From the April 1999 Bon Appetit magazine, this sounds like it would be good.
Make and share this Cauliflower and Horseradish Gratin recipe from Food.com.
- 3 1⁄2 lbs cauliflower, trimmed, florets
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 7 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1 dash ground nutmeg
- 1 cup Fontina cheese, packed, grated
- 1⁄2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 cups breadcrumbs, fresh French
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Steam cauliflower until crisp-tender, about 9 minutes.
- Transfer to 13x9x2"-inch glass baking dish.
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter in heavy large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add flour and stir 2 minutes (do not brown).
- Gradually whisk in half and half.
- Cook until sauce boils and thickens, whisking constantly, about 4 minutes.
- Mix in 5 tablespoons horseradish and vinegar.
- Season to taste with nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Pour sauce over cauliflower and mix to coat.
- Sprinkle cheese over.
- (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill).
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter in heavy medium skillet over medium heat.
- Mix in mustard and remaining 2 tablespoons horseradish.
- Add breadcrumbs; stir until crumbs are golden brown, about 9 minutes.
- Sprinkle over cauliflower.
- Bake until cauliflower is heated through, about 25 minutes.
This was a big hit -- I was worried I was over-generous with the horseradish, didnt realise how hot it was, but everyone loved this novel twist on an old favourite, definitely a make-again! Thank you for sharing!!
This delicious dish is so flavorful with the addition of the horseradish and it is definitely worth the effort. The only changes I made was to scale back just a little bit on the prepared horseradish and I used panko bread crumbs as I didn't have fresh bread. Made for Spring PAC, April, 2014.
Wow! Nobody made and reviewed this yet? This is fabulous! It's definitely for the horseradish lovers. My horseradish was pretty hot, but it was not overpowering. I found all the flavors to work well together. I made this just as written. I think it's a new favorite of mine. Thanx for sharing!