1/1 Photo of Cauliflower and Horseradish Gratin
From the April 1999 Bon Appetit magazine, this sounds like it would be good.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 1/2 lbs cauliflower, trimmed, florets
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 7 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1 dash ground nutmeg
- 1 cup Fontina cheese, packed, grated
- 1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 cups breadcrumbs, fresh French
- 1Preheat oven to 375.
- 2Steam cauliflower until crisp-tender, about 9 minutes.
- 3Transfer to 13x9x2"-inch glass baking dish.
- 4Melt 3 tablespoons butter in heavy large saucepan over medium heat.
- 5Add flour and stir 2 minutes (do not brown).
- 6Gradually whisk in half and half.
- 7Cook until sauce boils and thickens, whisking constantly, about 4 minutes.
- 8Mix in 5 tablespoons horseradish and vinegar.
- 9Season to taste with nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- 10Pour sauce over cauliflower and mix to coat.
- 11Sprinkle cheese over.
- 12(Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill).
- 13Melt 3 tablespoons butter in heavy medium skillet over medium heat.
- 14Mix in mustard and remaining 2 tablespoons horseradish.
- 15Add breadcrumbs; stir until crumbs are golden brown, about 9 minutes.
- 16Sprinkle over cauliflower.
- 17Bake until cauliflower is heated through, about 25 minutes.
Browse Our Top Cauliflower Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cauliflower Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cauliflower and Horseradish Gratin
Serving Size: 1 (261 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 304.8
- Calories from Fat 155
- Total Fat 17.2 g
- Saturated Fat 10.2 g
- Cholesterol 48.7 mg
- Sodium 354.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 6.2 g
- Protein 10.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
white wine vinegar