Recipe by dicentra
From Real Simple. Leftover ham!
Top Review by kpp1966
I'm not sure what went wrong with this recipe, but it did not set up at all. It was so soupy I had to serve it in bowls. The flavor was pretty good, though the ham made it quite salty. I probably wouldn't try it again, since my kids hated it anyway. If I did, I'd probably reduce the amount of cream and add another head of cauliflower. I'm a bit disappointed it didn't turn out better - I saw this recipe in Real Simple and thought it sounded wonderful!
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 8 ounces ham steaks, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
- 4 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- kosher salt
- ground pepper
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 3 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 8 sprigs thyme
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until softened and light golden brown, about 6 minutes.
- Add the ham and cook, 2 minutes. Add the cream, milk, cheese, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Simmer until thickened, about 4 minutes. Add the cauliflower. Transfer to a 2-quart casserole dish and sprinkle with the bread crumbs and thyme.
- Cover with aluminum foil. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Uncover and continue baking until the cauliflower is tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from oven and let rest at least 5 minutes before serving.
- Tip: Make this a vegetarian side dish by skipping the ham.