Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Real Simple. Leftover ham!
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 8 ounces ham steaks, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
- 4 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- kosher salt
- ground pepper
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 3 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 8 sprigs thyme
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until softened and light golden brown, about 6 minutes.
- Add the ham and cook, 2 minutes. Add the cream, milk, cheese, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Simmer until thickened, about 4 minutes. Add the cauliflower. Transfer to a 2-quart casserole dish and sprinkle with the bread crumbs and thyme.
- Cover with aluminum foil. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Uncover and continue baking until the cauliflower is tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from oven and let rest at least 5 minutes before serving.
- Tip: Make this a vegetarian side dish by skipping the ham.
I'm not sure what went wrong with this recipe, but it did not set up at all. It was so soupy I had to serve it in bowls. The flavor was pretty good, though the ham made it quite salty. I probably wouldn't try it again, since my kids hated it anyway. If I did, I'd probably reduce the amount of cream and add another head of cauliflower. I'm a bit disappointed it didn't turn out better - I saw this recipe in Real Simple and thought it sounded wonderful!