1/2 Photos of Cauliflower and Extra Old Soup
Highland Lass's Note:
A few years of experimentation later and I believe I got it just right - a simple yet substantial cold weather soup. For a sophisticated twist, try it with Stilton cheese and port.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 head cauliflower, separated into florets
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme (leaves only)
- 5 cups vegetable stock or 5 cups chicken stock (homemade or low sodium)
- 1 cup 10% cream or 1 cup carnation 2% evaporated milk
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 cups of extra old white cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
- 1In large pot over medium heat, sauté onion, celery and carrot in olive oil until onion is translucent.
- 2Add cauliflower and thyme to pot and pour in the stock.
- 3Cover and bring to boil.
- 4Reduce heat to medium and cook until cauliflower is tender.
- 5Remove pot from heat.
- 6Working in batches, puree the mixture in a food processor or blender and return to the pot (I prefer it slightly chunky).
- 7Reduce heat to low and whisk in the cream, dry mustard, Dijon and cheddar.
- 8Heat thoroughly but do not let the soup boil.
- 9If you find the soup a bit thick at this point, add a little stock or water.
- 10Add salt (if necessary) and pepper.
- 12A pleasant variation: Substitute 1 cup of thinly sliced leeks for the onion and 1 1/2 cups of crumbled Stilton for the cheddar; add 3 tablespoons of Tawny port and garnish with freshly chopped chives.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cauliflower and Extra Old Soup
Serving Size: 1 (210 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 226.2
- Calories from Fat 145
- Total Fat 16.1 g
- Saturated Fat 9.9 g
- Cholesterol 49.5 mg
- Sodium 306.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 11.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: