3 hrs 30 mins
1 hr 30 mins
A delicious one-pot dish of chicken with spices, rice and cauliflower for the perfect family meal.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the makloubeh
- 1 cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 whole chicken, cleaned, dried and jointed into 8 pieces
- 1/2 onion, peeled
- 4 whole black peppercorns
- 4 whole cardamom pods
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 1/2 quarts boiling water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable ghee or 2 tablespoons clarified butter
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon saffron (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 3/4 lb basmati rice
- 2 1/2 ounces pine nuts, lightly toasted, to garnish
For the cucumber and yogurt salad
- 1Soak the cauliflower in 5 cups of cold salty water for at least 1 hour.
- 2Heat the oil in a large saucepan and fry the chicken pieces until golden on both sides.
- 3Add the onion, peppercorns, cardamom pods, 1 teaspoon of the salt and the boiling water. Bring to the boil, lower the heat then cover with a lid and simmer for 40-50 minutes, checking regularly to make sure the mixture doesn't dry out.
- 4When the chicken pieces are tender, remove from the pan and reserve the stock.
- 5Meanwhile, drain the cauliflower pieces and pat dry on absorbent paper. Heat the oil in a deep fat fryer to 375F and fry the cauliflower until golden (this may also be done, in batches, in a frying pan). Remove the cauliflower with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
- 6In a small frying pan, warm the ghee or clarified butter. Add the garlic, cook until softened and remove with a slotted spoon.
- 7Lay the chicken pieces on the base of a large ovenproof saucepan and arrange the fried cauliflower around the edges, leaving a gap in the middle. Add the fried garlic and ghee.
- 8Add the remaining salt, pepper, saffron (if using), ground cardamom, allspice, nutmeg, cinnamon and cumin.
- 9Pour in the reserved stock, place the pan on a medium heat and bring to the boil.
- 10Soak the rice in 4 1/2 cups boiling water for 5 minutes, drain and repeat.
- 11Preheat the oven to 350°F Spoon the rice into the empty gap and then cover the cauliflower completely with the rest.
- 12Pour over enough stock to completely cover the rice. Simmer gently, uncovered, for 10 minutes, until some of the stock is absorbed.
- 13Cover the pan with a lid and transfer to the oven. Cook for 12-15 minutes, until the rice is tender.
- 14To make the salad, mix the chopped cucumber, yogurt, salt and garlic together. Cover and chill in the refrigerator until needed. Just before serving, scatter the mint over.
- 15Remove the Makloubeh from the oven and leave to cool for 20 minutes.
- 16Place a large serving plate over the top of the pan and turn the whole lot over. The contents of the pan should come out in one piece onto the serving dish. Scatter with pine nuts.
- 17Serve the Makloubeh straight away with the cucumber and yogurt salad.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cauliflower and Chicken Makloubeh
Serving Size: 1 (905 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1436.7
- Calories from Fat 809
- Total Fat 89.9 g
- Saturated Fat 23.7 g
- Cholesterol 268.1 mg
- Sodium 2065.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 85.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.4 g
- Sugars 9.6 g
- Protein 72.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
whole black peppercorns
whole cardamom pods