Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Always a big hit at our house, goes well with minestrone soup and even some macaroni and cheese.
- 1 head cauliflower
- 3 ounces cheddar cheese or 3 ounces muenster cheese, grated
- 1 slice challah, shredded
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash pepper
- Thoroughly wash the cauliflower and break it into florets.
- Place in a 2-quart pot with 1 inch of boiled water and cook until soft, about 10-15 minutes.
- Remove cauliflower with the slotted spoon to a large bowl and mash.
- Preheat oven to 325 F degrees.
- Combine 2 ounces of cheese, bread, mustard, mayonnaise, eggs, salt and pepper with the cauliflower.
- Pour into a greased 9 x 5 inch loaf pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Top with remaining 1 ounce of grated cheese and place under the broiler until browned.
Mashed Cauliflower: they never know they are eating cauliflower. brillant idea, and tastes great too. I actually had to make it with brie because I didn't have any other cheese on hand, but it still tasted great. I will make it again with chedder though too.
This was really, really good, and a great change of pace for a delicious veggie. The whole family enjoyed it, from 40 to 2 :). I agree that it needs a reasonably heavy hand with the seasoning; since there is raw egg in the mix I didn't want to taste after I had added my "dashes" of salt and pepper, and at the table we all wound up adding more. I'm sure this depends on the size of your cauliflower head. Also, I didn't have challah so I just put a slice of wheat bread through the food processor and used that. Thanks for posting; I will definitely be making this again.
This was pretty good but a bit bland. I think because we had a very large cauliflower, the other ingredients needed to be increased. Also next time I would rinse off the cauliflower in cold water to prevent the egg from cooking when I mixed it together. I cooked this in a 9x9 pan and it filled it!