Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is very good. I made it a few years ago and it's from Jean Paré. This soup can be frozen. It's a thick soup.
- 1 medium potato, diced
- 4 medium carrots, diced
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 small cauliflower, cut in chunks
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups water
- 4 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- 1 teaspoon salt (now I would omit it and reduced it)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup medium sharp cheddar, grated
- 3 tablespoons sherry wine (obtional)
- Combine the first 5 ingredients in a saucepan. Cook until veggies are tender. Don't drain. Remove from the heat.
- Incorporate the next 8 ingredients. Pour everything in a large bowl. Reduce in puree in a blender or food processor, in 3 or 4 times. Put back in the saucepan.
- Add sherry wine. Reheat the soup.
This is a great recipe Boomette. I am sorry for trying to ruin it on my end. I used 2 potatoes just because I wanted to use them up. I think I may have used a bit more cauliflower than what was called for too. I had to add a bunch more water as a result. This is all from my changes. A lesson, do not mess with a good thing! I also did not add the sherry, as I did not have it. I was confused about the water being in there twice, until I printed out and read the instructions. Duh. I added some leftover almonds on top. I am not a carrot fan, but this was pretty good. The carrots add a touch of sweetness to the soup, but not too much. I love the addition of nutmeg. I also omitted the salt and I didn't miss it. The green specks are the chives I put in my bowl, but I stirred it before I took the picture. I truly must try this again when I am having a better day. Made and Reviewed for 123 Hit Wonders - Thanks! :)
DH very much enjoyed this soup! I really liked the thick texture and the very few calories! I used fat-free cheddar (although it doesn't melt very well) and served tonight as a main dish for three, which we hungrily ate on this cold Fall night. Probably next time I wouldn't add the nutmeg - I might do thyme or sage instead. Mine turned out much more orange from the carrots than the picture Parsley posted!
I made a batch of this today to use the last of some leftover carrots. I was not sure of the beef stock cube so I used a veg stock cube instead and it was very good. Just was you need on a cloudy, rainy evening while watching the world go by.