Prep 40 mins
Cook 40 mins
This recipe is a lighter version of one that appeared in Bon Appetit (March 2007). You reduce a lot of calories and fat but retain all the flavour! You can also sautee and sprinkle in other veggies like mushrooms or spinach. To save time, this recipe can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill cauliflower and onion separately. Time doesn't included 15 minute cooling time.
- cooking spray
- 1 head cauliflower, steamed, cut into 1-inch florets (medium sized, about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, halved lengthwise, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup egg substitute or 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 cup low fat cottage cheese or 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup reduced-fat milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 cup grated low-fat swiss cheese
- 3⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Prepare a 9-inch-diameter tart pan with cooking spray.
- Heat olive oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add onion; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook until onion is deep golden brown, stirring occasionally, about 40 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spread onion in pan. Arrange cauliflower over evenly. Set tart on rimmed baking sheet.
- Whisk eggs and next 5 ingredients in medium bowl. Stir in Gruyère. Pour mixture over filling in tart pan; sprinkle with Parmesan. Bake until tart is golden and center is set, about 40 minutes.
- Transfer to rack; cool 15 minutes before serving.