Recipe by Mrs. Grosh
Humble cauliflower and brussels sprouts become luxurious in this decadent gratin, from Bon Appetite.
Top Review by Tina and Dave
Highly successful recipe, many thanks! I made a few changes due to what I had in store, but nothing radical ... used tarragon instead of basil and sweetcorn instead of cauliflower. The pinenut topping was wonderful and the brussels cooked to perfection!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh Brussels sprouts, trimmed, quartered lengthwise through core
- 1 1⁄2 lbs heads cauliflower, trimmed, cut into small florets
- 2 3⁄4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup chopped shallot
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts, lightly toasted
- 1⁄2 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 3 cups grated parmesan cheese, divided
Directions See How It's Made
- Fill large bowl with ice and cold water. Cook brussels sprouts in large pot of generously salted boiling water, 2 minutes. Add cauliflower to same pot; cook until vegetables are crisp-tender, about 3 minutes longer. Drain. Transfer vegetables to bowl of ice water to cool. Drain well.
- Combine cream, shallots, and sage in large saucepan. Bring to boil. Reduce heath; simmer until mixture is reduced to 2 1/2 cups, about 10 minutes. Season with salt. Remove from heat. Cool slightly.
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add breadcrumbs; stir until beginning to brown, about 2 minutes. Transfer to bowl; cool. Stir in pine nuts and parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
- Butter 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish; arrange half of vegetables in dish. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, then 1 1/2 cups Parmesan. Arrange remaining vegetables evenly over, then sprinkle with remaining 1/12 cups Parmesan. Pour cream mixture evenly over. DO AHEAD Breadcrumb topping and gratin can be made 1 day ahead. Cover separately and chill. Bring to room temperature before continuing.
- Preheat oven to 375. Cover gartin with foil. Bake covered 40 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle breadcrumb topping over and bake uncovered 15 minutes longer.