Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
A perfect side dish for any grilled meats or fish. When oven space is at a premium...warm this up in the crockpot for about 1-1/2 hours (or until warmed) During the busy season, it is not uncommon to see my crockpot sitting on the floor in the dinningroom warming up this dish and freeing up valuable counter space!!
- Cook cauliflower and broccoli in large pot of boiling water until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Drain, reserving 2/3 cup cooking liquid. Transfer vegetables to large bowl. Cool.
- Rinse spinach, then toss in large skillet over medium high heat until just wilted. Drain and cool. Squeeze spinach dry; finely chop.
- Melt butter in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and whisk until smooth, about 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in milk and reserved 2/3 cup vegetable cooking liquid. Whisk constantly over medium heat until sauce thickens and boils, about 3 minutes. Stir in spinach, cheese and pepper flakes. Season with salt, pepper and a good pinch of nutmeg.
- Using fingers, coarsely crumble cauliflower and broccoli in bowl. Add spinach bechamel sauce; stir to blend. Season with salt and pepper. Butter 1-1/2 quart baking dish. Spread vegetable mixture in prepared dish. (can be made 6 hours ahead. cover and chill).
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bake flan until puffed and heated through, about 25 minutes if at room temperature and 35 minutes if chilled.
- Note: The white cheese sauce is quite thick. I tend to add more milk to thin it out so that it is a light coating on the veggies.
This dish is amazing, I make it every year for Thanksgiving as a "different" side to the regular ones...I get raves every time. It from an old Bon Appetit book
great dish..it went great with beercan chicken cooked on grill..