1/1 Photo of Cauliflower and Broccoli Cheddar Gratin
This is a new recipe that I recently tried out for Thanksgiving. It piqued another cook's interest so I said if it was good, I would post it. It is very good and tastes better reheated the next day!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 head cauliflower
- 1 bunch broccoli
- 1 large carrot
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup grated old cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon horseradish
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1Butter a 9" x 13" baking dish.
- 2Cut enough cauliflower and broccoli into bite-size pieces to nearly fill the dish.
- 3Peel and thinly slice the carrot.
- 4Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- 5Add the vegetables; cook 2 minutes or until cooked but still very crisp.
- 6Drain in a colander; cool under cold running water.
- 7Drain again; turn into baking dish.
- 8Combine the bread crumbs, cheese, basil, horseradish, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- 9Stir in the butter; set aside.
- 10To make the sauce, melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- 11Add the chopped onion; saute 3 to 5 minutes or until softened.
- 12Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- 13Gradually mix in the milk and mustard while stirring constantly.
- 14Cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until the mixture thickens and just boils.
- 15Remove from heat; stir in the salt and cheese; pour evenly over the vegetables.
- 16Arrange the rack over the oven centre; preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- 17Scatter the crumb mixture evenly over the vegetables in cheese sauce.
- 18Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly around the edges and the topping is crisp and brown.
Browse Our Top Cauliflower Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cauliflower Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cauliflower and Broccoli Cheddar Gratin
Serving Size: 1 (276 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 374.7
- Calories from Fat 177
- Total Fat 19.7 g
- Saturated Fat 11.7 g
- Cholesterol 55.6 mg
- Sodium 731.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 4.9 g
- Protein 16.6 g