A Martha Rose Shulman (author of "The Very Best Recipes for Health")recipe from the NYTimes, published 1/08/2013. I use pitted Kalamatas and any mixture of dry cheeses I have available. Green or other colors of cauliflower can also be use.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 head cauliflower (2 to 2 1/2 pounds)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 16 imported oil-cured black olives, pitted and cut in half
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 cup freshly grated dry cheese (Pecorino or Parmesan, or a combination)
- 11. Break up the cauliflower into small florets while you bring a large pot of water to a boil. Salt the water generously and drop in the cauliflower. Boil 5 minutes while you fill a bowl with ice and water. Transfer the cauliflower to the ice water, let sit for a couple of minutes, then drain and place on paper towels.
- 22. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Oil a 2-quart baking dish or gratin dish. Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over medium heat in a large, heavy skillet and add the onion. Cook, stirring, until tender, about 3 minutes, and add a pinch of salt and the garlic. Cook, stirring, for about 30 seconds, until fragrant and translucent. Remove from the heat and stir in the olives.
- 3Place the cauliflower in the baking dish and add the onion and olive mixture, the remaining olive oil, the parsley and half the cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper and stir together well. Spread out in the dish and sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
- 4Bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes, until the cheese is nicely browned. Serve hot or warm.
- 5Advance preparation: The cauliflower can be cooked and refrigerated for up to three days. The dish can be prepared through Step 2 several hours before assembling the gratin. Hold on top of the stove or in the refrigerator.
Browse Our Top Cauliflower Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cauliflower and Black Olive Gratin
Serving Size: 1 (139 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 135.4
- Calories from Fat 95
- Total Fat 10.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 6.0 mg
- Sodium 208.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 4.0 g