1/1 Photo of Cauliflower and Bacon Soup With Mustard Cheese Toasties
A simple cauliflower soup with crispy bacon and accompanied with mustard cheese toasties. Economical and tasty! The recipe appeared in the 'GOOD FOOD' magazine in April 2000. I included this recipe into my England/Scotland/Ireland cookbook (for the Zaar World Tour) because it comes from an English source and makes use of English ingredients or ingredients that are easily available in England.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 8 slices streaky bacon
- 2 potatoes, chopped
- 1 small cauliflower, cut into florets, leaves sliced
- 600 ml vegetable stock (1 pint)
- 300 ml milk (1/2 pint)
- 1START THE SOUP:.
- 2Heat oil in a large pan, add onion and fry for 5 minutes until softened. Chop two bacon rashers, add to the pan and fry for a further 2 minutes.
- 3FINISH THE SOUP:.
- 4Stir in the potatoes and cauliflower and mix well. Add the stock and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes until the vegetables are tender. Preheat the grill to medium. Purée the soup in a blender or soup processor, then return to the pan and stir in the milk. Reheat gently. Check the consistency and add more water, stock or milk if desired. Reheat gently, taste and add salt and pepper.
- 6Meanwhile, grill the remaining bacon until crisp, then drain on kitchen paper and cut into pieces. Toast the bread on one side; spread mustard over the untoasted sides and sprinkle with the grated cheese. Grill until the cheese is melted and golden.
- 8Serve big bowls of soup sprinkled with the grilled bacon pieces and cheese toasties on the side.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cauliflower and Bacon Soup With Mustard Cheese Toasties
Serving Size: 1 (523 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 886.1
- Calories from Fat 379
- Total Fat 42.1 g
- Saturated Fat 14.9 g
- Cholesterol 68.5 mg
- Sodium 1360.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 96.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.5 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 30.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: