Prep 5 mins
Cook 8 mins
Low carb alternative to rice. If you didn't know, you'd swear it tastes just like rice. I found this on a blog on Recipes 4EveryKitchen posted by Ruth Daniels.
- 1 large cauliflower, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- Grate the cauliflower, including the core You can use the grater attachment of a food processor or the medium holes on a box grater. Squeeze out as much water as you can with your hands.
- Melt butter and oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and sauté just until the garlic sizzles(1-2 minutes). Add the cauliflower, sprinkle with the salt & pepper and stir-fry until tender-crisp, about 5 to 8 minutes. The length of time will depend in the cauliflower.
- Stir in the green onions and add salt and pepper to taste. With your eyes closed, you'd swear you were eating rice.
- For a Pan-Asian taste, use oil only instead of the butter/oil combination. Scramble 2 eggs in the oil after sautéing the garlic. Add chopped, cooked meat or shrimp, give a few stirs, then add the cauliflower. Serve with soy sauce.
- Other options: add some curry powder, some grated lemon rind to go with fish, or some chilli powder.
This is a great way to go low carb! I love the cook's suggestions for how to dress up the rice: Asian, etc.
I'm not a huge fan of cauliflower, but it's one of few vegetables that are looking good this time of year. So i brought it home and found this recipe. It was a hit. The kids gobbled it up, and my husband who's getting sick of chicken and rice really enjoyed the switch up. I love that we're getting more veggies instead of empty carbs. I have been serving this with a Chicken Madras sauce I pick up at my grocery store, but any saucy dish would be great. This has now become a staple in our house.
Love cauliflower and this is a different way to serve it. I didnt think it tasted like rice but can be used as rice very nicely! For anyone that is low carb'n this is great. Served with grilled salmon cant wait to try the variations that you have suggested. Thanks for sharing this recipe, one I will be making again. Made for PAC spring 09