Recipe by what-a-kerfuffle
Gluten free alternative to breadsticks
Top Review by Cinnamon Turtle
I tried these out as an accompaniment to a salad meal. They seem like a good starting point, but need some work. They were not much like breadsticks, as they required a fork. The comment was made that they were more like quiche. However, having had a two-week trial of gluten-free, I understand that these might fulfill a need for a garlicky-cheesy accompaniment when desperation for bread sets in. For those without gluten intolerance, adding bread crumbs or a bit of flour would likely improve the texture.
- 1 cup cauliflower, riced
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon mixed Italian herbs
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- garlic powder, to taste
- salt, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Use a food processor to process cauliflower into small pieces, the size of grains of rice.
- Cook in microwave 5-10 minutes until thoroughly cooked.
- Combine cauliflower, half the cheese, egg, garlic, and herbs in mixing bowl.
- Spray baking sheet with nonstick spray. Press mixture into a square or rectangle shape.
- Bake at 450 degrees 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from oven, and turn oven up to broil. Brush crust with olive oil; dust with desired amounts of garlic powder and salt. Sprinkle on remaining cheese.
- Broil until cheese is just melted, 2-3 minutes.
- Cut into 8 slices to serve.