Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Wear an apron and old shoes when you make this... that tomato sauce tends to splash. I like to serve this sauce over thin spaghetti.
- 1 (29 ounce) can tomato sauce (Hunts)
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce (Hunts)
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste (Hunts)
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 1⁄2 cups large black olives (halved)
- 3 fresh garlic cloves, plus
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons dry parsley flakes or 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons dry oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 cups diced onions
- 1 lb sliced green pepper (whole green pepper with seeds and white meat removed)
- 1 cup diced fresh carrot
- 1⁄2 cup burgundy cooking wine or 1⁄2 cup Burgundy wine
- Combine and mix well ground meat 1+1/2 tsp ea of Italian seasoning, dry parsley or fresh parsley, oregano, then 1/2 tsp pepper, and 1+1/2 tsp garlic powder in skillet and cook on medium heat until well combined and browned.
- While meat mixture is cooking, empty both cans of tomato sauce and the tomato paste into a 4+1/2 qt dutch oven covered on low heat. Add onion, green pepper, bay leaves, carrot, olives, wine crushed garlic cloves, and remainder of Italian seasoning, parsley, and oregano.
- Once meat mixture has browned, combine it with the tomato sauce in the Dutch oven, mix well, cover, and, let simmer on low for 3 hours (stirring occasionally).