Cattleman's Beef and Beans Recipe
- Rinse beans under running water. Place them in a large kettle with water. Bring to boiling, cover kettle,cook on low heat 15 minutes,let stand 1 hour.
- Trim all fat from beef, brown meat on all sides in remaining fat in large skillet.
- Place meat in bottom of the slow cooker, add beans and liquid, onion, molasses, salt, ginger, mustard, pepper and bay leaf. Add more water if needed to cover meat and beans. Cover.
- Cook on high for 2 hours, stir beans, adding more liquid if needed to keep beans and meat covered.
- Turn control to low and cook for 8 hours or until beans are very tender and liquid is absorbed. Taste and season with a spoonful of hot prepared mustard if you wish.
- Remove meat to a carving board and cut into slices, spoon beans around beef on platter.