Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Made to celebrate St. Catherine's feast day on November 25th. St. Catherine was (or is) the patron saint of lacemakers. ST CATHERINES DAY NOVEMBER 25TH. (CATTERNS)[The two great holidays of the lace-makers was Tanders (St. Andrew’s Day, Nov. 30th), and Catterns Day (St. Catherine's Day, Nov. 25th) reference: http://bobbins.lacefairy.com/BobbinMuseum/calender.htm
- Set oven to 400 or Mark 6.
- Grease a baking tray.
- Sift flour and spices into a mixing bowl, stir in the currants, ground almonds and sugar.
- Add melted butter and egg, stirring to make a soft dough.
- Roll on a floured surface to a rectabgle approximately 10" x 20".
- Brush the dough with water, sprinkle with the sugar and cinnamon.
- roll up like a swiss roll, cut into slices 3/4 inch thick.
- Place on baking sheet, well apart, and bake for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack.