- 10 lbs ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 3 large yellow onions, finely chopped
- 2 red bell peppers or 2 green bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 3 inches cinnamon sticks, broken in half
- 10 whole black peppercorns
- 7 whole cloves
- 5 whole allspice
- 1 teaspoon whole celery seed
- 3⁄4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a LARGE pot cook tomatoes, onions, peppers and garlic for 30-40 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Puree vegetables in a food processor or run through a food mill.
- Return to pot.
- Tie the seasonings together in a cheesecloth bag and add to the tomato mixture.
- Simmer mixture until reduced by about half, or to desired thickness-remember to STIR FREQUENTLY and watch the heat-this can scorch easily depending on your pot.
- Remove spice bag when desired thickness is reached, and discard.
- Spoon into clean, sterile hot jars leaving 1/4 inch head space.
- Seal and process for 10 minutes at altitudes up to 1000 feet.
- Any higher please consult canning chart or email me.